by Sara Niver, OTR/L
Occupational therapists love to use crafts to promote functional skills! It’s fun for the kids while helping them promote so many functional skills needed to participate in the school environment!
Skills the craft promotes:
- Visual motor skills (drawing, coloring, lacing)
- Bilateral hand coordination (lacing)
- Fine motor precision (coloring in the shapes of the eyes, nose, mouth)
- Hand strength (punching out the holes)
What you need:
- Orange paper plate (or paint/color a white plate orange)
- Black marker
- Hole puncher
- Black yarn
- Green pipe cleaner
- Have the yarn and pipe cleaners measured and pre-cut
- Have an example craft already made.
- Draw in the holes for the kids to punch out prior to the session.
- You can also draw the face before to have the child trace over your lines and color in the center.